10. April 2014
Equinix, Vancis and Nikhef Boost Network Connectivity with New Partnership in Amsterdam
Collaboration provides Equinix customers with access to more than 250 networks in Europe
AMSTERDAM - April 10, 2014 - Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) the global interconnection and data center company, Vancis, provider of high-quality ICT services, and Nikhef, the National Institute for Subatomic Physics, today announced they have joined infrastructure to deliver enhanced network connectivity to businesses in the Amsterdam Science Park. The collaboration provides new opportunities for customers to expand their data centre footprint, and access to cloud providers such as Cloudsigma, Virtustream, Carrenza and Redbee and leading networks including Box, Joyent, Syniverse, FireHost and AMS-IX already present in Equinix's rich business ecosystems in Amsterdam. Access to Nikhef and Vancis is immediately available for Equinix customers in AM3 Science Park.
Die wichtigsten Fakten im Überblick
- Equinix has established direct connections to the Nikhef and Vancis (SURFsara) carrier hotels from its AM3 data centre which will allow clients to directly connect to more than 250 international networks, reinforcing the Amsterdam campus as one of the most network-dense locations worldwide.
- Vancis and Nikhef have had a historic presence in Amsterdam, having established the first internet connectivity point in the Netherlands. Today, businesses throughout the region continue to utilize this infrastructure and network connectivity.
- The new partnership follows a series of acquisitions and investments by Equinix in 2013 that added over 75 new carriers including many in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Platform Equinix™ now provides access to more than 975 network service providers globally that allow customers to exchange traffic cost-efficiently, securely and with superior performance.
- The enhanced network density within Europe will also form the future base for the Equinix Performance Hub™, which uniquely combines elements of data centers, networking infrastructure and connectivity, and cloud computing access to improve application performance and deliver a globally consistent quality experience to end-users that will be available in the region later this year.
- Situated in one of the world's most network-dense locations and designed to set new standards in data and infrastructure management, AM3 Science Park Amsterdam is a major low latency gateway to the continent, reaching 80 percent of Europe within 50 milliseconds. The data center is home to the world's top mobile networks and service enablers, social media and video sites, cloud companies, advertising businesses and electronic traders.
- Michiel Eielts, general manager, Equinix Netherlands:
"Increasingly more companies use cloud services, but are faced with an important prerequisite for doing so: truly successful and reliable cloud applications require a high degree of network connectivity. Inside Equinix's data centres organisations are already making use of many networks in our ecosystem. The additional connectivity offered by Vancis and Nikhef creates a new breeding ground for the cloud ecosystem, valuable to cloud suppliers and users alike."
- Eric Heemskerk, commercial director, Vancis:
"Vancis has many internationally oriented telecom companies, ISPs and carriers among its clients. Through this connection they can offer services to Equinix' clients quickly and easily. We insisted on an Equinix data centre at the Science Park: Vancis has limited space for expanding our data centre services, but we do need the capacity. Clients who want extra capacity can now switch to Equinix. This allows us to remain focused on our core business."
- Arjen van Rijn, institute manager, Nikhef:
"For over two decades, Nikhef has been playing a role in the colocation of telecom providers and ISPs. During that period, our relatively small data centre has welcomed a large variety of national and international clients. Therefore, we are happy with Equinix's presence in the Amsterdam Science Park, since our clients now have even more alternatives for the colocation of extra equipment."
- FireHost Deploys in Equinix as Part of Global Expansion Strategy
- Box wählt Platform Equinix als zentrales Element seiner global expandierenden Infrastruktur (in Englisch)
- Equinix and Syniverse Accelerate Service Innovation for Mobile Industry
- Joyent Drives Global Expansion with Platform Equinix™
- AMS-IX Expands Relationship with Equinix in Amsterdam
Since 2008, Vancis BV has been operational as a provider of high-quality ICT services. Vancis is a young corporation, but has access to over forty years of experience in the ICT sector by means of a technology transfer contract with SURFsara. From its sustainably equipped data centres in Amsterdam and Almere, Vancis offers value for money, 24x7 continuity and state-of-the-art security. Vancis offers extensive possibilities in the field of connectivity and is one if the locations of the Amsterdam Internet Exchange (AMS-IX). Vancis is specialised in data centre services, cloud services, managed services and technical application management. From our scientific labs we constantly work on improving our services, e.g. in the field of Sector Clouds, Big Data and High-performance Computing. The Vancis team consists of approximately 145 enthusiastic members, divided among two locations.
Nikhef, the National Institute for Subatomic Physics [Nationaal Instituut voor Subatomaire Fysica], considers research in the field of (astro)particle physics its mission. As a nonprofit, neutral and independent organisation, Nikhef has a long-standing tradition regarding the development of the internet and advanced distributed computing and data processing. Since the mid-nineties, Nikhef has been a colocation for members of the Amsterdam Internet Exchange (AMS-IX). A substantial share of the AMS-IX traffic occurs through the Nikhef location. There are also other internet exchanges established at Nikhef, such as NL-ix, as well as some essential internet services, for instance an any-cast K-root server of RIPE NCC, an F-root server of ISC and a number of top-level domain servers.
Informationen zu Equinix
Equinix, Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.