16. August 2015
Equinix Makes AWS Direct Connect Available in Osaka
Extends AWS Direct Connect availability to nine Equinix data centers, globally, and four in Asia
REDWOOD CITY, CALIF. and OSAKA, Japan – August 17, 2015 – Equinix, Inc., a global interconnection and data center company, today announced the immediate availability of Amazon Web Services (AWS) Direct Connect in Equinix’s Osaka International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center (OS1). With AWS Direct Connect, companies across Asia can connect their privately owned and managed infrastructure directly to AWS, establishing a private connection to the AWS Cloud that reduces costs, increases throughput, and delivers more consistent application performance. The Osaka offering is the second in Japan, with AWS Direct Connect also available in Equinix’s Tokyo (TY2) data center, and it brings the total number of Equinix metros offering the service to nine, globally, with four in Asia Pacific.
According to IDC’s Public IT Cloud Services 2014-2018 Forecast, it is estimated that the cloud sector in the Asia Pacific region will grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 26.5%. With this continued growth, many companies are looking to deploy hybrid clouds, to reap the scalability and cost benefits of the cloud, while maintaining the security and control of on-premise infrastructure. By offering AWS Direct Connect across Asia Pacific, Equinix helps enterprise CIOs advance their hybrid cloud strategies by seamlessly and securely incorporating cloud services into their existing architectures.
Highlights / Key Facts
- The Osaka offering enables enterprises in Western Japan to build hybrid cloud infrastructures, connecting AWS Cloud to existing on-premises environment with private connectivity, including the option of redundant access to the AWS Cloud within Japan.
- Cloud computing continues to grow in the Asia Pacific region, with Japan leading in overall growth. According to a recent Cloud Readiness Index from the Asia Cloud Computing Association, Japan ranked highest in overall cloud readiness.
- AWS Direct Connect availability in Osaka marks the fourth Equinix location in Asia Pacific to offer the services. By using AWS Direct Connect within Equinix’s Asia Pacific data centers, customers can have a consistent, dedicated network connection to the AWS Cloud for higher performance at a lower cost.
- Equinix now offers AWS Direct Connect in nine locations; Frankfurt, London, Osaka, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo and Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia. Equinix customers in these metros experience lower network costs into and out of AWS and take advantage of reduced AWS Direct Connect data transfer rates.
- Samuel Lee, President, Asia Pacific, Equinix:
“Our goal at Equinix is to help our enterprise customers realize the full benefits of the cloud – without worrying about application latency or cost issues. AWS Direct Connect makes it easy for our customers to establish a dedicated network connection from Equinix to AWS. This private, direct access reduces network costs, increases throughput, and provides a more consistent network experience than Internet-based connections.”
- Hiroshi Go, Senior Director, Service Platform Development, Cloud Services Division, Hitachi Ltd.:
“We look forward to the availability of AWS Direct Connect in OS1 data center. To ensure the stable and consistent quality for end-users, integrating the network infrastructure is one of the most important responsibilities for data center and cloud service providers. At Hitachi, we have our network node in Equinix OS1, which offers excellent connectivity to the Internet backbone. AWS in OS1 will help us meet ongoing customer demands, as well as create new business opportunities.”
- Yukio Yamasaki, vice president, K-Opticom Corporation:
“At K-Opticom, we are excited about the potential of direct connection to AWS cloud services at Equinix’s OS1 data center. By continuing to provide an environment that enables companies to connect to a variety of cloud services privately and securely, we are confident that we can meet the evolving needs of a wide range of customers. By locating our network connection with Equinix in Osaka, we are confident we can continue to provide value-added services with Equinix.”
- Equinix and AWS Direct Connect: Your Onramp to Amazon Web Services [video]
- More about Equinix and AWS Direct Connect [datasheet]
Equinix Inc. (NASDAQ: EQIX) verbindet führende Unternehmen mit ihren Kunden, Mitarbeitern und Partnern über seine Hochleistungsrechenzentren mit dem weltweit größten Netzwerkangebot. Bei Equinix kommen Unternehmen in 33 Märkten auf fünf Kontinenten zusammen, um neue Geschäftsmöglichkeiten wahrzunehmen, ihren Erfolg zu steigern und IT- und Cloud-Strategien auszubauen. www.equinix.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.