24. Juli 2014
ALOG Completes Expansion of Sao Paulo Data Center
Strong demand for colocation space in Brazil leads to early completion of phase III of SP2
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and SÃO PAULO — July 24, 2014 — Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that ALOG Data Centers of Brazil S.A., a Platform Equinix™ Company, has completed phase III of its second São Paulo (SP2) International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center. This expansion was completed one month ahead of schedule due to strong demand from enterprise and cloud computing customers looking to reduce IT infrastructure costs, extend their global reach and connect with new customers and partners on Platform Equinix™.
Today, Equinix also announced that it has completed the acquisition of ALOG. To read the full press release, visit: Equinix Completes Acquisition of ALOG; Integrates Data Centers into Platform Equinix.
Highlights / Key Facts
- SP2 is a Tier III-certified data center, meeting international standards that ensure the highest level of redundancy and connectivity, and is the only data center provider to offer Tier III-certified data centers in both São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The $22M USD addition to SP2, located in the São Paulo suburb of Tamboré, provides space for an additional 600 cabinets, bringing the total to 1,270.
- Customers in SP2 look to ALOG to improve performance and reduce IT costs. Examples of how companies have benefited from IBX deployments include:
- SP2 is home to two popular online services in Brazil: Apontador, a search engine visited every day by one in five Brazilians, and Maplink, an API geo-localization platform. Both are owned by Local LBS Group, and collectively generate 40 terabytes of data per month. Since collocating with ALOG, Maplink and Apontador have reduced their IT infrastructure costs by 30 percent while lowering latency and ensuring a high-quality online experience for millions of users.
- Highwinds, a Florida-based content delivery network, is a long-term ALOG customer that chose to collocate in SP2 to establish a redundancy point for its Latin American customers who depend on high availability for its content distribution, storage, analytics and cloud-based IP services.
- Engevix, the largest engineering consulting company in Brazil, has realized a 20-percent reduction in IT cost through its deployment in SP2, while also increasing the availability of its services to employees in domestic offices across Brazil and to those in its international offices.
- SP2 is the first data center in Brazil to use external cold air to cool the data center environment. Whenever the external temperature is lower than 62.6ºF, this “indirect cooling” technology pumps outside air to lower the temperature of the cooling liquid, which is used to cool the data center. Designed with sustainability in mind, SP2’s water consumption will be reduced by 70 percent and power consumption by 10 percent.
- Eduardo Carvalho, president, ALOG:
“The occupancy rate of SP2 exceeded our expectations. The first two phases of SP2 are full and we believe this rapid growth will continue as more companies realize the cost savings of leveraging cloud-based IT solutions and discover new business opportunities by interconnecting with the 4,500 companies across Platform Equinix.”
- Marco Medugno, director for Latin America and the Caribbean, Highwinds:
“By deploying at ALOG we are reaching new customers and partners in the cloud, mobile, financial, enterprise and content industries to reduce IT costs and improve application performance. As we look to widen our global reach and our customers seek to do the same, our data center strategy is increasingly integral to realizing our long-term goals.”
- Equinix Completes Acquisition of Brazilian Data Center Provider ALOG [blog]
- Equinix Adds Data Centers in Brazil [press release]
ALOG Data Centers of Brazil is a leading carrier-neutral data center provider in Brazil and serves approximately 1,000 customers across its two data centers in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. ALOG’s name comes from the Italian word Aloggiare, which means to host, to shelter.
ALOG’s 410 qualified professionals provide co-location and related services. The company follows ITIL orientations and has assured quality by a management system certified with ISO 9001:2008. ALOG also received the SAS70 level II seal. More information about ALOG is available at www.alog.com.br/index_enUS.asp.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,500 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world's most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconection platform in 32 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific.http://www.equinix.com/.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.